Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tut tut... Looks like danger.

It's been raining a lot here in Southern California. For some reason, this is incredibly important to most people. You might be asking yourself, why, Carsten? Why is rain such a big deal?

I'm sorry that I cannot answer that question for you. I have no bloody clue why it is such a big deal.

Being from Chicagoland, I find the average Californian's reaction to rain to elicit within me an equal mixture of amusement and infuriation.

Will someone please explain to me how rain necessitates driving 15 miles an hour under the speed limit? I solemnly swear that you are not going to hydroplane at 25 mph. Based on the way they operate their vehicles, people out here seem to equate droplets of water falling from the sky with something far more dangerous. Like balls of fire. Or gorillas.

I have assembled a diagram to help those in need learn when it is appropriate to freak out about falling objects.



Somebody once asked me why I was going to wear sandals when it was raining. Why the hell wouldn't I? In case they get wet??? I don't understand! Your shoes are going to get far soggier than my sandals. Oy, vey.

The following dialogue is a representation of the kinds of conversations I've overheard countless times:

Rain-o-phobe #1: I can't believe it's raining. This sucks.
Rain-o-phobe #2: I know! There goes our movie plans!
Rain-o-phobe #1: Hopefully it will clear up by tomorrow.
Rain-o-phobe #2: Yeah, or else this whole weekend is ruined!

Even if you are deathly afraid of water, it is still highly possible for you to safely make it from your indoor location to another indoor location via the comfortable environment of your own automobile.

My Facebook newsfeed blows up with rain related statuses. In fact, it seems like those types of statuses are just as, if not more, numerous than the amount of earthquake related ones that I'm bombarded with after a quake. Really.

Rain is a part of nature. It's naturally occurring. You are also a part of nature. Please proceed with your life.

No comments: