Pages

Saturday, August 27, 2011

U.S. GEOGRAPHY 101

A few days ago, my dentist was conversing with me, as dentists annoyingly do, while cleaning my teeth.

Dentist: So where are you from, again?

Me: Chja;ifjwslk.

Dentist: Sorry, what? [takes hands out of my mouth]

Me: Chicago.

----------------------------

That's not the problem.

This is the problem:



Dentist: Ohhh so does your family still live in Chicago?

Me: Yeah.

Dentist: Oh so are they okay after the earthquake?

 Me: *Face-palm*


Sadly, she is not the first person who has asked me this this week.

At what point did Chicago gravitate to the east coast? I've been asking myself this often over the past four years of living in California where apparently nobody has the slightest inklings about the most basic geographical facts about the United States. I  don't expect everyone to know the precise latitude and longitude of all fifty states. I really don't. But I feel like many Californians need to at least look at a map once every ten years or so to refresh their memory about the different regions in general.

What a normal citizen envisions when they think of a map of the United States of America:



What a Californian envisions when they think of a map of the United States of America:


This by no means is to say that Californians aren't great for a lot of other reasons. I love them! They're crazy! My friend's dad says California is like a granola bar- filled with fruits, flakes, and nuts. I happen to have a great affinity for granola bars. That is why I still live here. 

This ALSO isn't to say that I know everything in the WORLD! Of course I don't! Did I say that??? It's a free country, dammit. Maybe you should start a blog about everything about me that annoys you. Good luck with your readership.

3 comments:

Wes said...

Had a friend refer to the mid-west the other day as "oh somewhere over there in the middle"

I'm sure the east coast however thinks of america in a similar way, luckily we from the middle where we're born with our heads on straight ha.

Carsty said...

*High-five* to a fellow midwesterner :)

Icarrythesunbb said...

Carsty, I must say. . . In the Northern United States, a duffer is an old man, especially and specifically a dull or indecisive one. Sounds a lot like, DA!